Cacti & Desert Plants
These prickly companions will win you over with their unusual blooms and bold geometric shapes. Coming from a desolate climate with extreme temperatures and long drought has made cacti and desert plants incredibly resilient. These plants are some of the easiest plants to care for in terms of watering and maintenance, requiring very little of either!
Art’s Nursery sells a huge variety of cacti and desert plants along with all the supplies you need to create your own garden or container.
How to Care for Cacti & Desert Plants
Follow these easy guidelines to keep all your cacti & desert plants happy and thriving.
- Cacti & desert plants require good drainage so using a succulent specific potting mix is ideal.
- These mixes are light and fluffy ensuring the soil does not hold on to excess water, which can cause your plants to rot.
- Choosing a container with a hole in the bottom can help to improve drainage.
- Place in bright direct light - at least 6-8 hours of full sun a day.
- Cacti & desert plants are uniquely adapted to deal with drought, so water only when the soil has completely dried out.
- Don’t ever let the roots stand in water. These plants thrive on neglect! In the cool winter season cacti go into dormancy.
- During these months they require no water, and don’t need it again until early spring when their dormancy ends.
Interested in Cacti & Desert Plants?
- Feed your plants with fertilizer during the growing season, generally spring and summer.
- In the winter, cut back on both feeding and watering.
Come on in to Art's Nursery to see our selection and talk to our knowledgeable staff. If you’re making a special trip, please call ahead to confirm availability: 604.882.1201