Indoor Tropicals & Houseplants
Indoor Tropical plants not only add living beauty and a sense of tranquility to your home or office space, they have the added benefit of cleaning the air, producing oxygen, and have even been known to boost mood, creativity, concentration, and productivity.
Art’s Nursery carries a selection of gorgeous indoor houseplants along with all the gardening essentials you need to get started, including quality potting mixes, fertilizers, containers, and more. Whether you’re a new plant parent or a seasoned green thumb, we have a plant for you! New stock arrives regularly, so check back often to discover the perfect plant that will add a little life to your home or office.
How to Care for Indoor Tropicals
Be sure to find out the exact light and watering needs of your plant to help keep it healthy and thriving. Since all plants have different growing requirements, the following is just a general guideline on how to care for indoor tropicals.
- Always use potting soil when planting in containers because it's specially formulated to ensure good drainage and air flow to promote strong root growth in containers.
- Most general potting mixes contain a variety of ingredients like wood chips, sphagnum peat moss, compost, perlite, or vermiculite, providng a light and fluffy texture for your plants.
- One of the most critical factors that impacts a plant's health is light. Be sure to place your plant where it will receive the right amount light to grow.
- All plants have different requirements, so be sure to place it in a location where it will receive the right amount of light to keep it healthy and thriving - full sun, filtered light, or low light.
- Understand the watering needs of your plant! It’s better to under-water rather than over-water.
- A general rule of thumb is to water your plants every 1-2 weeks, sometimes more or less depending on the type of plant, size of container, time of year, growing conditions, etc.
- It's usually a good idea to feel the soil first and only water if the top is dry to avoid overwatering.
- There are some exceptions! Be sure to water according to your exact plant’s requirements, for example, snake plants and zz plants require very little water.
- Never let the roots sit in water as that can cause root rot.
- Be sure to water according to your exact plant’s requirements!
Interested in Tropical Plants?
- Feed your plants with fertilizer during the growing season, generally spring and summer. In the winter, cut back on both feeding and watering.
Art's Nursery carries a wide variety of indoor gardening essentials and our knowledgeable staff is always happy to help you! Our stock varies throughout the year, so if you’re looking for something specific, please call ahead to confirm availability 604.882.1201